As you may have seen in the blog roundup, last week was a little out of control, but I managed to squeeze some local listening in among the hubbub:
- The Expats is back after Adam Rozenhart finally slayed the tragic series of computer-related mishaps that kept him off the air. He has a great conversation with Leah Cavanaugh, a Canadian in Scotland who is more homesick than his guests usually are.
- You can also hear Adam on I Have Some Notes, trying to fix Star Trek: Generations with fellow Trekkie Samantha Power and hosts Colin MacIntyre and Gregg Beever.
- On Pet Sounds, Sarah Hoyles talks to a Canadian couple who fell in love with a cat in Oaxaca, Mexico, and couldn’t bear to leave her behind.
- Matt and Paul have a super-frank, super-interesting conversation about the service industry with chef Cory Rakowski on Drink this Podcast. Here’s Part 1 and Part 2.
- Such a delight to hear Laura Lynn Johnston on Paul Lopushinsky’s Podcasts with Paul, talking about story slams, Creative Mornings, veganism, travel and more.
- What It Is performs a great service in the attention it pays to Nextfest, training ground for Edmonton’s upcoming generation of theatre artists. The game at the end of this conversation with Leif Ingebrigtsen, Rebecca Sadowski, Rebecca Dust, Anne Heritage and Ellen Chorley is epic.
- On Bollywood is for Lovers, exploitation-film buff Allan Mott joins Erin E. Fraser and Matt Bowes for an erudite and fascinating discussion of Sunny Leone, a Canadian porn star turned Bollywood heroine.
- Pamella Heikel, who is getting ready for her upcoming Pecha Kucha Night talk, discusses the partnership and journeys on Conscious Conversations.
- On Modern Manhood, German Villegas discusses masculinity and spirituality with his cousin, Jose Figueroa, a youth pastor in Vancouver.
- If you, like me, were raised on country music in the 1970s, you will find a lot to love in the latest episode of the Vintage Edmonton Music podcast featuring Gary Lee and Neal Campbell.
- Kyla J. Lane, aka Kyla the Intern, makes her podcast debut on North by NorthGretz and performs admirably.
- On The Devil’s Advocate, Dave Rae and Christopher Borg debate whether UFC is better than WWE. Dave’s finishing move is something else.
- Hannah McGregor and Marcelle Kosman have reached the end of the Harry Potter series. Is this the end of Witch, Please? You’ll have to listen to find out.
- On Toastcaster, Greg Gazin puts on his gadget guy hat and reviews Whoosh!, a cleaner that promises to get rid of the bacteria on your phones and tablets.
- It’s such a joy to hear Jessica and Katie express their love for soccer star Christine Sinclair on For Kicks. They look at the first six weeks of the NWSL season and look forward to some national team games.
- On The Watch-men, Matt and Sam recommend some TV shows and movies you might want to queue up during your downtime this summer.
- I had the great pleasure of speaking on a panel with Zain Velji of The Strategists at the Canadian Association of Journalists conference last weekend.
- Don’t forget my conversation with Jess Holt, who blogs about life with twins on Grace & Champ, on the latest Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast.
I have some great local podcasters lined up to be interviewed during my 100in1Day project, Make Something Public, happening the Makerspace at the downtown Edmonton Public Library on June 4. Sign up if you’d like to be interviewed, too.
We had a great meetup on May 29 with Jeff Samsonow of the edmontonian media co. Watch this week’s newsletter for a list of who was there, and listen for the audio on June 6. The next meetup is set for June 19.
This week’s Seen and Heard in Edmonton is brought to you by Eek Fest, the pop culture fair happening at Servus Place in St. Albert on June 4 and 5.
You’ll find five halls of fun, featuring Lego, comics, collectibles, video games, zombies, Nerf guns, live improv, cosplay and more. Hear all about it from Eek Fest’s Rob LeLacheur.
Family passes are on sale now for $39.99; adult weekend passes are $19.99 and kids get in for $8 (plus fees). Get your tickets today!