Tough to think about anything but the Fort McMurray fire right now. (Text REDCROSS to 30333 to donate $5 — it just takes a few seconds.) If you, like me, are riveted to the coverage, maybe save this one for later, because people put out some pretty interesting audio this week, and I’d still like to draw your attention to it:
- Marcelle Kosman and two of her colleagues from Witch, Please gave an excellent talk on Women Podcasting in the Potterverse at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo. Politically joyful, indeed.
- Daniel and Trina Shessel of Northern Nerdcast were also at the Calgary Expo, causing much jealousy in co-host Chelsea Thompson.
- And since we’re talking about the Calgary Expo and thinking about Fort McMurray, check out this amazing cosplay video from the folks at YMM Podcast.
- The Movie Jerks nerd out about a really terrible ninja movie with Chris Craddock, and chat with him about his ninja-free (I assume) film, It’s Not My Fault and I Don’t Care Anyway.
- The Movie Jerks are among the recommendations shared by The Undad’s Trent Wilkie on the latest episode of Seen and Heard in Edmonton.
- Colin MacIntyre and Gregg Beever launch I Have Some Notes with an attempt to fix Man of Steel, with help from Jay Runham and Mark Jowett.
- Taylor Chadwick and Chris Cook catch up with cast members of two theatre productions — Wish and Gordon — and do a bit of a victory lap about the What It Is podcast’s recent award.
- On Pet Sounds, Sarah Hoyles explains how the way we talk about adopting pets has changed over the years.
- MacEwan University’s Clock Radio shares the heart-wrenching story of Petra Schulz, who lost her son Danny to a fentanyl overdose.
- Pamella Heikel chats with Brea Johnson of Hearts & Bones Yoga about how we move and what it takes to move more and better on Conscious Conversations.
- Kris and Kelly Milligan discuss gardening, homeschooling and looking after your relationship on Coffee Mugs and Little Thugs.
- German Villegas launches The Modern Manhood Podcast with a conversation with musician, husband and father Spencer Clarke.
- You can relive the NHL Draft Lottery sort of live with German and the other guys at Your Team Sucks (their reaction is pretty funny — it’s towards the end, after a playoffs roundup and the usual segments).
- Scott Tougas and Kurtis Macdonald also look back at the surprising first round of the NHL playoffs on North of 49.
- The guys at the ever-expanding KMFBZ have launched yet another podcast, this one called The Superhero Action Hour. As with all KMFBZ products, it’s a trip.
- A late addition, because it’s so timely: The most recent episode of the TransCanada Music West podcast features a live performance by Shuyler Jansen in Fort McMurray. A fine soundtrack while you donate to the relief effort.
I couldn’t get to any more than that this week, but you can find lots more on the Podcast Network page (members are in bold above), in previous podcast roundups, on the Northern Content Network, and on the Edmonton Nerd List’s media page.
The next podcast meetup will be on May 29 at Variant Edition, and it will be on the topic of how to ask good questions. My guest will be ace interviewer Jeff Samsonow of Capital Ideas and the edmontonian media co. Sign up so we know you’re coming.
This week’s Seen and Heard in Edmonton is brought to you by Alberta Beer Festivals, which is putting on the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival on June 3 and 4. Hear Dillon Stecyk describe what’s so great about the festival.