This roundup comes to you amid the joy of seeing the crew from What It Is win the John Poole Award for promotion of the arts at the Mayor’s Celebration of the Arts last week. I have a lot more ideas in the works for how we can bring the great work of local podcasts to light. For now, I shine my little spotlight here:
- Rev Recluse has outdone himself with the latest Vintage Edmonton Music podcast — he shares two school albums, one made by Spruce Avenue’s choirs in 1975 and one by Harry Ainlay’s handbell choir in 1983. Absolute treasure.
- Paul Blinov loses his Ukrainian dance virginity, much to Fawnda Mithrush’s delight, and reports back on Shumka’s KOBZAR on I Don’t Get It, where they also talk about the Pro Coro/Good Women Dance Collective collaboration.
- The Lip Talk has a great gabfest with Lilith Fair, who was recently crowned Alberta’s Drag Superstar. And they’ve hit 1,000 subscribers on iTunes, just eight episodes in!
- Musician Jom Comyn has a wonderful voice, both in song and in an interview, as you’ll hear on the Cups n Cakes podcast.
- Matt Bowes talks to Myrna Kostash about new and intriguing work of creative nonfiction, The Seven Oaks Reader, on the NeWest Press podcast.
- It is so fun to hear the passion that Jessica and Katie have for women’s soccer on the For Kicks podcast. This one has the NWSL season so far, the Canadian team’s road to Rio, and questions from the audience.
- The latest Highlevel Showdown is full to the brim, with takes on the Manitoba election, the Duffy verdict, the impending legalization of marijuana, the American election, and more.
- The Press Gallery begins with a farewell, as host Mariam Ibrahim moves on to work for AUPE, but not before moderating another great discussion of provincial politics.
- The most recent Capital Ideas Edmonton podcast features Jeff Samsonow’s great discussion about creative ways to fund your business with Rob de Groot of Red Cup Distillery, Eryne Sarabin of Tycoon Events and Pawel Brzeminski of Snap Projections.
- Travis, Chris and Cam have a free and frank discussion about the stuff they used to like that they don’t really like anymore on My Side of Life.
- You can hear me talk to Jeanshorts and Baggedmilk of North by Northgretz and OilersNation on the latest Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast. (And check out their latest episode, too.)
- And if you haven’t had enough of my voice, you can hear me talk about journalism, entrepreneurship and the best advice I’ve received on Scotty Riddell’s Soulfront podcast.
That’s all I could get to this week, and remember, this is all filtered through my own peculiar tastes. If you don’t find something you like above, there’s plenty more on the Podcast Network page (members are in bold above), in previous podcast roundups, on the Northern Content Network, and on the Edmonton Nerd List’s media page.
The next podcast meetup will be on May 29 at Variant Edition, so save the date and sign up for the Seen and Heard in Edmonton newsletter for more details as they become available.