Sometimes I come across something in my roundup reading that is just so beautiful, I’m transfixed. So that’s where we’re going to start, and then we’ll get into other things that people have recommended over the past week, before heading into words, building/rebuilding and miscellany.
- You have to see the utterly gorgeous wedding of Nav and Surinder, captured by Zokah and featured on Stacey Knopp’s yegwed.
- Brittney Le Blanc test-drives Bumble, a new dating app.
- Lillian Tse does a step-by-step recipe review on the making of kouign amanns or kouignettes, and they look so delicious.
- Marcia Hamm applies her trained palate to a couple of local wine rooms.
- Phil Wilson finds a pretty clear winner in this week’s brunch odyssey pairing.
- Megan McKenna has found the perfect notepad for organizing her life.
- TJ Jans updates the search for a comfortable and effective chest binder, and has come up with a winner.
- Nicole Rowan has tips for styling a graphic tee.
- Kira Paran adds her voice to Pink Shirt Day and its campaign against bullying.
- Christine Bruckmann offers tips on how to thrift for kids’ clothes at an Outgrown It sale.
Words, words, words
- Mack Male always does such a great job of gathering up the local media news every week in his Media Monday feature. This one is no exception.
- Dave Cournoyer has a measured and useful take on the kerfuffle arising from the brief banning of Rebel Media from press events at the legislature.
- Marielle T at Lux Beauty Boutique names her favourite blogs, including lots of local picks.
- Miranda Post gathers up some advice from fellow bloggers on coping with long-haul flights.
- Todd Babiak crowdsources how best to get the word out about his new book.
- Pierrette Requier reckons with the first half of her term as poet laureate of Edmonton.
- Tracey Sawatzky engages in a social media decluttering.
- Trent Wilkie is trying to watch his mouth around his soon-to-be-speaking son, and it’s harder than you think.
Building and rebuilding
- Kristina Lynne is getting ready for another house flip, this one coming to her through her blog.
- Lawrence Herzog looks at Edmontonians’ historical practice of scrounging wood.
- Make Something Edmonton shares the story of Danielle Soneff’s solar-powered warming hut.
- Matt Henderson cautions the Oilers against acting as desperate for a defenceman as they are heading to the trade deadline.
- Sunil Agnihotri thinks the Oilers should strongly consider bringing David Perron back. Also, he kind of just wants the season to be over, but then he goes on a deep dive into what the Oilers should do anyway.
- “If depressing a fan base was a skill, the Oilers would be Gretzky,” writes Lowetide. Quite.
- Stephen Robinson of 52Skillz takes some Syrian refugees skating with friends.
- Mike Ross uncovers the musical side of Premier Rachel Notley.
- Vintage Edmonton digs up some Edmonton Trappers ephemera from 1981.
Did you know you can sponsor Seen and Heard in Edmonton? It’s true! Details here.
This week’s Seen and Heard in Edmonton is brought to you by Andrea Beça, a writer, filmmaker, editor and social media strategist who can help you get your message out.
Hire Andrea at andreabeca.work.