I’m going to kick off with some first-time listens, and then swing into some old favourites. Every time I think I’ve found all of the locally made podcasts, I find half a dozen more. So much creation going on:
- On Basket of YEGs, Troy Pavlek is working his way through the 32 candidates running in the Ward 12 byelection.
- The inaugural episode of MacEwan University’s Clock Radio podcast features Junaid Jahangir, a researcher and advocate for LGBTQ issues.
- On The Hero Protocol, Shane Maio nerds out about comics and superheroes with Edmonton Centre MLA David Shepherd.
- If you need more hot takes and silliness in your life, check out The Gateway podcast Let’s Take a Look with Cam Lewis and Steven Andrais.
- On Trying Hard, Nate Wolf has a candid and wide-ranging conversation about family, relationships and kindness with the woman known as @singing_ghosts.
- Mariam Ibrahim takes over hosting duties for the first time on latest episode of The Press Gallery, featuring the Edmonton Journal’s Paula Simons, Graham Thomson and Jodie Sinnema on Alberta politics.
- On the What It Is podcast, Taylor Chadwick interviews Vern Thiessen, Murray Utas and Kristi Hansen about the Chinook Series, which brings together three performing arts festivals. And he talks to Megan and Beth Dart and Cliff Kelly about Ursa Major, one of the festival’s shows.
- If you missed Hannah McGregor and Marcelle Kosman at Nerd Nite, you can hear their talk, Harry Potter and the Prisoners of Narrative: On Reading and the Virtues of Constant Vigilance, on their podcast, Witch, Please.
- On The Expats, Adam Rozenhart chats with Jana Makar, a former Calgarian and soon-to-be-Kiwi about starting a new life in New Zealand.
- The fellas at Your Team Sucks talks about all manner of hockey matters (including the all-star game, poor hockey coverage and more). They also send a shoutout towards the end to the #BellLetsTalk effort to raise awareness about mental illness.
- The ladies at Verity! weigh in on the news that Doctor Who show runner Steven Moffat is stepping down after Series 10.
- The latest Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast with TJ Jans and Salena Kitteringham of Curious Arts has been very popular! Next up is the audio from our meetup last weekend, featuring Erika Ensign of Verity!, Dan Clarke of The Worst Podcast Ever and Kevin Horek of Building the Future.
There is a ton of other stuff out there that I just didn’t have time to get to. I’m percolating a plan to deal with that, so stay tuned.
In the meantime, find even more local podcasts in previous podcast roundups, on the Northern Content Network, and on the Edmonton Nerd List’s media page.
If you want to meet with fellow podcasters or learn how to become one yourself, come to our monthly meetup. Details to come on the meetup page.
This week’s Seen and Heard in Edmonton is brought to you by CKUA, which is in the middle of another great season of the TransCanada Music West podcast, offering the best live music Western Canada has to offer.
You can subscribe in iTunes, or listen to it at ckua.com.