This week’s roundup hits some grand themes. Love. Death. Smoothies. The important things. Let’s begin.
- This wedding, written up by Stacey K and photographed by FO Photography, is just so beautiful. The dress reveal made me cry.
- Jody Bailey captured a ton of great shots of the FIBA Americas basketball tournament.
- Matt Henderson has high hopes for the Oilers to get a real one-two punch at centre again.
- Vickie Laliotis gets dressed to the nines for the Canadian Derby.
- Sandy Joe Karpetz looks back at the visual splendour of the Golden West Music Festival.
- Sarah Chan is holding on tight to every moment of summer.
- The Devil’s Advocate debate between Dan Taylor and David Rae on death in the family dropped last week, but I just listened to it now, and it’s worth your time, for the laughs and the feels.
- Anna Marie Sewell ponders The Great Mystery from various points of view, including her new puppy’s.
- Nicole Rowan enters her fourth year of thrifting with mindfulness in mind.
- Natasha Chiam shares Marni Panas’s wisdom about appropriate responses to children’s questions about differences they perceive in other people.
- Stephanie Medford takes a look at Little Brick, a cafe, store and collaborative space in Riverdale.
- A harvest of Evans cherries sends Michelle Peters-Jones back to blogging, on to jelly-making and down memory lane.
- Deb Merriam interviews the couple behind Slow Food Edmonton.
- A fascinating book of poetry and art sparks even more interesting recommendations from Lindy Pratch.
- Laura Frey expands on the blogging advice she offered on my podcast. She also takes a look at the books up for the Alberta Readers’ Choice Award.
- The latest Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast features YouTuber and all-round good guy Jay Runham.
- Tracey Sawatzky takes a look at Capital City Records, the archive of Edmonton music now available through the public library.
- Speaking of records, some old ones from Rev Recluse, and some new, colourful ones from Michael Senchuk.
- Linda Hoang issues Part 3 of her spotlight on Edmonton’s most interesting Instagrammers.
- Beverley Jackman likes what she sees in the social media practices of Safeway and David’s Tea.
- The heat wave is over, but I could still see myself getting connected with Bianca Osbourne’s cooling blueberry smoothie.
- Or, since the weather has turned, how about Maegan Lukian’s blueberry latte?
That’s a teensy sample of what you could find in the local independent media scene. Find tons more at ShareEdmonton.
I collect my picks in a Flipboard magazine. I talk on Twitter @seenandheardyeg and @karenunland. I share even more with the extra-special people who subscribe to the Seen and Heard in Edmonton newsletter. You could be such a person.
One thought on “Edmonton blog roundup: Aug. 17, 2015”