Edmonton AM on CBC Radio One did a show on hidden gems last week, and with the help of a clever intervention by Jay Runham, I got to burble on about my favourite subject — blogs and podcasts. I only had time to recommend three, though I squeezed in a few other mentions. Good thing I have this space to draw attention to more.
Speaking of hidden gems
- Chris Tse was on Edmonton AM, too, recommending running trails that he documented beautifully.
- Laura Frey (one of my gems) issues a correction about The Corrections.
- If you haven’t discovered Surgery 101 yet, fix that. Stop-motion Lego tutorials — need I say more?
- Adam Rozenhart made it into the “New and Noteworthy” list in iTunes, so he’s hardly hidden any more, but The Expats remains a gem. The latest is with Colm Heaney in Northern Ireland.
- A chance encounter prompts Lori Godin take a moment to reflect on how entertaining her kids are.
- Christine Bruckmann explains how to make a backyard movie screen.
- Holly Baker has been crafting up a storm with her daughter this summer.
Sweets for the sweet
- Karlynn Johnston has me wanting to make — or at least eat — Impossible Saskatoon Pie.
- Lillian Leung seeks your vote for a scrumptious-looking recipe for hand pies.
- A border guard’s gruff question gets Glenn Kubish thinking about the real purpose of his visit.
- Justina Smith finds inspiration in the garden.
- Shayne Woodsmith turns his camera on photographer/videographer Ryan Jackson.
- Recent bloggers’ nights at the Edmonton International Airport led Michelle Peters-Jones to remember when flying was special, while Mack Male wonders if EIA can be a destination in itself.
- Aaron Vanimere interviews up-and-coming Edmonton band I Hate Sex.
- Michael Senchuk recommends some bands while contemplating his own musical ambitions.
- John Harry Kim shares the sounds of table tennis.
- The Northern Nerd Network interviews the creators of the Classic Video Game Championships.
- Linda Hoang celebrates her birthday by learning to work a knife.
- Nicole Rowan takes some thrift shops to task for pricing too high. (Great comment thread on this one.)
- Ryan Batty finds the price hike for Oilers tickets in the new arena a tad steep.
- Blaine Bertsch explores how to interview so you hire the best employees.
- Sheri Landry is giving This Bird’s Day a hands-on makeover.
- My latest podcast is a conversation with ukuleleist and serial self-challenger Andrea Beça.
I make a newsletter, too, and it has more stuff in it than you find on the blog. Sign up to see what I’m on about.