Sometimes I look at my podcatcher and think, “Yessss!!!!” And sometimes I look at it and think, “Whoa, how am I going to find time to listen to all of that?” Both thoughts struck this time around. We have a prolific, talented and fascinating community. Here’s what I got to:
- The Lip Talk crew and their No. 1 fan celebrate Pride Week by telling their coming-out stories.
- On Bollywood is for Lovers, Erin E. Fraser and Matt Bowes discuss three Hindi films featuring LGBTQ characters and issues.
- And one more for Pride: Here’s Part 1 of a panel discussion about LGBTQ representation in pop culture from Yegs and Bacon.
- Robyn Wilson hears the hilariously unromantic yet totally sweet love story of Kreg and Marissa Loewen on The One.
- On The Expats, Adam Rozenhart talks to Ashley Tinker, an anglophone Montrealer living in Provence, France.
- A couple of talented one-time Edmontonians can be found in Minister Faust’s MF Galaxy feed: spoken-word artist Titilope Sonuga, and musician Colleen Brown.
- What It Is continues its stellar Nextfest coverage with a conversation with performance artists Ben Gorodetsky, Jane Alison McKinney and Ashleigh Hicks.
- On For Kicks, Jessica and Katie discuss a couple of recent friendlies between Canada and Brazil, and chat with a former keeper about the women’s soccer team on the way to Rio.
- Look back at FC Edmonton’s spring season on the Loyal Company of the River Valley.
- Montreal Sauce has a two-part discussion with web developer, designer, writer and student Tierney Coren. Part 1 is a wide-ranging discussion about place, pop culture and… snacks? Part 2 goes heavier on programming languages.
- The fellas from Press Start to Join talk to a couple of local game developers from The Frozen Machine, who are making a mobile game called Tunacycle.
- Hear Dan Shessel and Samantha Woods interview interesting people at Eek Fest on the Northern Nerdcast.
- The Clickbait Podcast crew discusses Uncharted 4, DOOM and the ethics of cheating.
- On Podcast! the Comics, Brandon Schatz and James Leask nerd out about home improvement and food, before reviewing some recent comics.
- Elliott Tanti and Michael Vecchio discuss Canadian politicians in the American election, freedom of the press and the Wildrose’s troubles on Highlevel Showdown.
- On Suds with Buds, Wade and Darren catch up on a lot of things, including the Edmonton Eskimos, which caught my ear because I’m going to the game on Saturday.
- The latest Drink This Podcast focuses on problematic faves, including Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.
- And don’t forget my discussion with Matt Mercer-Slingsby of Drink This Podcast on the most recent Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast.
You can find even more Edmonton-made podcasts on the Podcast Network page, in previous podcast roundups, on the Northern Content Network, and on the Edmonton Nerd List’s media page. This roundup comes out every two weeks now, so you’re going to have to find your own fun next week.
Our next meetup is set for June 19 at 1 pm at Variant Edition. We’ll talk to Ryan Jackson of Full Circle Visuals and Chris Sikkenga of Montreal Sauce about how to get good sound. There will be door prizes, and treats from CafeRista, so come!
This week’s Seen and Heard in Edmonton is brought to you by Taproot Edmonton, a new member-supported home for local journalism created with the community and not just for it.
If you’d like to help Mack Male and me create a new way to sustain how-and-why journalism in our city, join Taproot today.