I scroll through a week’s worth of blog posts and podcasts, choose the ingredients that strike my fancy, throw them into this bowl, and watch them coalesce into unexpected themes. And this is what you get:
- Valerie Lugonja finds a delicious use for her end-of-the-season tomatoes.
- Kevin Kossowan is gearing up for cider season.
- Karlynn Johnston is expanding The Kitchen Magpie to YouTube.
- Bianca Osbourne applies the lessons of kombucha brewing to the building of a business.
- Lincoln Ho attends the opening of Hoang Long, a new market restaurant on Jasper Avenue.
- Only Maegan Lukian would be so excited about stinging nettle.
Oh, my heart
- Donloree Hoffman encounters a woman straddling the line between life and death.
- Natasha Chiam puts on the bravest face in the operating room with her child.
- Trent Wilkie’s son is walking now, which sends him into a fit of anticipating the changes to come.
Where we live
- Jaron Williams takes a look at the surprisingly unchanged Canadian Government Elevator.
- Trent Portigal traces the beginnings of rail transit in Edmonton.
- Mack Male rides the new Metro LRT line.
- (UPDATE) The aforementioned Lincoln Ho maps out the LRT exits for easier wayfinding.
- Edmonton Next Gen previews an Oct. 1 talk by Charles Montgomery, author of the urban planning manifesto Happy City.
- Adam Rozenhart visits with an expat living in Mexico City.
- On the Edmonton Arts Council blog, A.J.A. Louden reveals the meaning behind his Greetings from Edmonton mural.
- Kristina Lynne introduces the next house she’s planning to renovate and sell.
- Sandy Joe Karpetz bids farewell to the loft she briefly occupied.
- Nicole Rowan lets her Alanis Morissette shirt survive her Konmari housecleaning. (Hear more from Nicole on the latest Seen and Heard in Edmonton podcast.)
Let me entertain you
- Jenna Marynowski previews Theatre Network‘s coming season, rising from the ashes of the Roxy Theatre fire.
- Mike Ross reports on a lovely effort to raise money for the Kirby Legacy Award in honour of a pillar of the Edmonton music scene.
- Northern Sessions continues to produce beautiful videos of Edmonton musicians, this time with Lindsey Walker.
- Lindy Pratch tours through the books on the Giller Prize longlist.
- On the Wright Reads podcast, guest host Alexis Kienlen examines the strange and beautiful Bear by Marian Engel.
- The Movie Jerks have a pretty crazy conversation with Wes Borg about monkeys in movies.
Hockey all the time
- Avry Lewis-McDougall chats with Jen Scrivens, goalie for the New York Riveters and wife of Oilers goalie Ben Scrivens.
- Lowetide interviews himself about former Oilers coach Dallas Eakins.
- Vintage Edmonton shares a very ’70s hockey program.
If you didn’t get to this roundup via my newsletter, why not sign up? It would make me — and more importantly, you — so happy.