I don’t like to think about Christmas until after the Grey Cup, at least, which makes me bah-humbuggish in some circles. There’s no avoiding it now, however, so let’s begin by giving in.
Christmas is so commercial nowadays, you say? Well, Vintage Edmonton has a collection that shows it’s been like that for a century, of which these are just two examples.
- On Transforming Edmonton, Elizabeth Walker shares an archival look at Santa Claus parades and other visits.
- Nicole Rowan goes thrifting for Christmas.
- This isn’t so much about Christmas as for it: Phil Wilson, aka Mr. July, draws your attention to the Sexy Men of Yeg Food calendar.
- Also in the gift realm, maybe: Caroline Gault chats with the designers behind Berg & Betts, who upcycle Poppy Barley leather into watch straps.
OK, that’s all the holiday cheer I can handle. What else did I see?
- Lots was written about Bill 10 this week, but I think my favourite was I Dig Your Girlfriend’s gif-o-rific explainer of how we got here.
- Mack Male goes deep on whether the Edmonton Police Service’s budget requests are reasonable.
- Trent Wilkie engages in #realtalk about fatherhood with Todd Babiak.
- Karlynn Johnston catches us up on how it has been to homeschool her kids.
- Make Something Edmonton chats with Niobe Thompson, whose film The Great Human Odyssey is at the heart of the Sound, Light & Motion event this evening (Dec. 8).
- Alyssa Lau reflects on the new world that blogging opened up to her, and shares some great tips.
- Danica LeBlanc quit her job. Her husband Brandon Schatz has big changes ahead, too.
- Oilers Nation talks to Ryan Robinson, the sad Oilers fan who made a video about how frustrating it is to cheer for this team
- Dana DiTomaso is a sad Ticats fan, but that didn’t stop her from finishing up her CFL social media report card.
And that brings up back to the Grey Cup, so it’s as good a time as any to stop. But you can find much, much more at ShareEdmonton.
If you like Flipboard, you can experience my picks as a magazine.
You can always find me @karenunland.